Saturday, October 1, 2011

Away We Go

You know when you have an OBX week or Caribbean getaway planned, and you fill the days leading up to your departure with work/play/sleep, just so you can feel like you get there faster?  Awaiting this trip feels nothing like that.  It feels like if I were able to visit everyone I care about to say goodbye, that by the time i was finished, I'd feel like I had to go back to the first visited and say goodbye again. It seems as though there is not enough time, and departure is closing in fast, but I will be back in 12 months, it just seems like forever.  Needless to say I will miss everyone, apologize for anyone i've missed (you too will be missed), and everyone is welcome to come visit!
With only 3 days left in the US, I find myself sleeping very little.  I stay up thinking about the trip into the wee hours of the morn, and am jolted out of a deep REM sleep at 8:09 every morning by "I didn't eat yet! It's 8:09! Where are my shoes?" being yelled from what I firmly believe to be right outside my door. This leads to further realization I am 1 day closer to our adventure and no chance of me returning to sleep, and the cycle begins again. In less words, I AM SUPER EXCITED!
First I planned on taking everything.  That plan was immediately shot down.  Then I planned on bringing very little, but Jeff received an e-mail from a family friend that suggested that Auckland was more expensive than NYC and their outdoors selection is twice the price and half the selection.  With this advice, along with strong warnings from my besties Conor and Jared, I have packed very little of what I would call "practical wear" and packed bunches of survival gear, or what I would call "over-priced, not even mildly attractive, hiking gear".  Past Nicole would be so appalled, future Nicole will be so appreciative, and present Nicole just hopes I fit in all my jeans when I get back.
I can honestly say I am not ecstatic about spending the first 24 hours on a plane/LAX airport, but I did find out that the plane offers 2 meals, complementary wine, and hundreds of hours of movies I haven't seen, including Bridesmaids and Super 8 (This is when I truly appreciate Jeff's aversion to going to the movies).
Also, Jeff and I are purchasing a camera tomorrow with the deal being he pays for most of it and I learn to use it.  There is no better time to sit down with a hefty manual, with words reminiscent of my 11th grade photography days, than an 18 hour plane ride.  This is probably one of the most exciting aspects for me because we are getting a digital SLR so I can take shots that we can enlarge and appreciate forever.
After those initial 24 hours are over, we will land in Auckland, which is currently hosting the Rugby World Cup, so we will basically be entering a giant party. :) After watching some prelim games on ESPN, I decided that rugby is a sport I could definitely learn to love (watching not playing).
I plan on updating the blog once we spend our first day in Auckland, which is Tuesday there, so Monday in Philly? I believe the time difference is +16 hours...awkward. Also, hopefully the other members of my adventure will also want to post!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you are going to an island that only has sheep on it. That means anything you want has to be shipped in by boat or plane and is going to cost you.

    Enjoy the trip!

    ReplyDelete