Thursday, August 11, 2011

How to fit your entire life into one over-sized pack...

Moving to New Zealand is a great idea for me, but even it comes with a few downfalls.  The first is the packing for the trip (a.k.a. the leaving EVERYTHING behind for the trip), the second is the expensive and not exciting purchases needed to be made prior to departure.  If anyone knows what a "shopping high" is, it's me, but seriously sleeping bags, hiking packs, and mini, super absorbent towels just don't do it for me! (for anyone?)  I guess these 2 downfalls could really be rolled into 1... I'm an avid shopper who had been forced to shop for ONLY boring things AND must leave all of her previous and precious purchases behind.

Needless to say, I have to practice packing now in order to make sure I can fit the few things I can bring with me.  Because we are travelling for the first month we need to pack as light as possible to ensure ease of travel and safety of our belonging.  This would be fine if i could eventually ship my things to New Zealand but it is out of the question with a cost of about $300.  Everyone else is confident that they can fit their things into their packs (except Bethy!), but I'm positive I will need a small suitcase to accompany my pack.  It makes me sad because I hate leaving my things behind, but it makes me even more sad that I care so much about what I will be wearing and how I will look.

I guess this is one of the biggest reasons I wanted to go on the trip in the first place though, to find myself. To identify my weaknesses, big and small, and discover my greatest strengths.  It's a big task, I realize, but I think putting myself into situations which challenge me (like packing apparently) I will then be able to see what is really important to me, and what I have simply grown accustomed to and to expect from life. I was to be able to distinguish things I want and those that I need, and what makes me truly happy. But hey, no pressure New Zealand, I just ask for those few things :)


Now for some logistics, I am expected to pack a years worth of clothing in the following:

Some may laugh, and some may be deeply disturbed by its small, tiny, minuscule size (as am I), but it is in fact what I am supposed to fit all of my things in, hence, the second bag.  Not only is that the confines of my future but it cost me $95, but originally $120 at EMS, but they offer a 20% discount on EMS brand to students!  I had to spend the same amount on a Sierra Designs sleeping bag (woohoo).  If it weren't for Amazon.com and its customer ratings I probably would have bought the cheapest, crappiest, easily broken items in the world.  Its ratings allow for customer's to tell about their experiences, and it absolutely justified paying $50-100 more for what appeared to be the same product.  I've learned more about shopping smart in the past month than in years!  My only other purchase for the trip was an outlet adapter, which was reviewed to have worked well in New Zealand, but honestly voltage adapter is far beyond anything i can understand by reading about online, so be sure to check in on how successful the outlet adapter ACTUALLY was.  

If anyone has any hiking, camping survival tips, please comment.  Between the three guys on the trip I think we'll be safe, but experience only, hiking/travelling life lessons never hurt!  

1 comment:

  1. If you're still looking for hiking/travel gear, check out SunnySports.com. They sell just hiking/camping gear and usually their prices are cheaper than Amazon and EMS. Their sales are a steal!

    ReplyDelete