Monday, October 10, 2011

Here is my "missing" blog i wrote about 5 days ago, before the caves and waterfall:


Kia Ora!
(Hello in Maori)

So I am currently sitting in a tent approximately 10km south of Whangarei (pronounces something close to “fungwheh”…who knew?)  It is Friday here, and Thursday back in the states.  I am ecstatic at the idea of seeing the sun rise before anyone else in the world on Friday, October 07, 2011… How did I get 150km north of Auckland already do you ask?  Well we picked up “Rudy the Rhino”, as he will now be referred, yesterday in Auckland, and headed North for a bit of time.  In addition to Rudy, we also painlessly obtained bank accounts, tax IRD numbers, a AAA membership (called AA here), and a cell phone.  I can’t emphasize enough how smoothly and inexpensive these things are here compared to the states.  $109 for a blackberry type phone + sim, $29 a month for 160 min, 2500 txts, and 50mb of data for e-mail, ect.(which may seem like nothing but we really only use it for calling campgrounds. 

So back to the good stuff!  We are camping on the beach, and when I say beach I mean on the sand dunes of the Pacific Ocean.  It is more beautiful and serene than anything I’ve ever seen, and after my first night camping, I feel confident I could do this for another month.  We paid $8NZD a person to the campsite, and had no trouble putting up our tents at all.  We were not allowed to burn a fire at this particular spot, but luckily Adam had MSR Pocket Rocket, or simply, a camping stove.  We cooked up some soups and bread for dinner, and indulged in my personal stash of M & M’s for dessert…Hehehe. 

Today we are exploring the Waipu caves and possibly some falls outside of Whangarei.  As soon as I get some free wi-fi I will upload all the pictures on a Flickr account and link it to the blog. For now, I am uploading these blog entries on the 3G we had setup on Bethy’s ipad, and she has limited upload allowance for now. 

Cheers!

Also check out our pictures on Flickr, user name Nicoleweso   

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68431928@N02/

Can you figure out what this is?


1 comment:

  1. I'm a bit upset I haven't seen a picture of Barney's replacement. Rudy the Rhino needs some face time with that camera.

    ReplyDelete