Tuesday, November 1, 2011

If you left it up to me everyday would be a holiday from real...

So although I have about 8 resumes out, I have one interview, and one definite no.  Hopefully the interview will work out, but the other reply said they would not hire anyone with a visa under 12 months.  This seems to be a trend of most of the positions here.  I know that it is only slightly into the second week, and i have no reason to be pessimistic, but i also have to be realistic and think ahead in case I remain unemployed for the duration of this lease in Nelson.  All will work out I suppose...

I've found that the two greatest ways to get my mind off the stresses of life are chocolate and yoga (luckily these two work in a clever balance).  I have been working on the chocolate eating for about 4 weeks now, and have finally decided it is time to restore my personal yoga to chocolate ratio.  I am fortunate that what Nelson lacks in employment it makes up for in yoga practice.  After a lot of research, I was able to find a quaint yoga studio only 3K down the road from my house (On a really good day I could run/walk there).  The owner/yogi happened to be Atlanta, GA born and bred and has moved here with her Irish husband to live a "simpler life".  It was great to close my eyes, stretch, and be guided by someone who reminded me of home.  It was equally as great to speak to someone who understands the frustrations that come along with having to purchase $9 dental floss and overpriced wheat-based products (Note: there are plenty of things that are cheaper here, like asparagus, but a lot of everyday items are wildly overpriced).  Overall, my first New Zealand yoga experience was amazing, and she offered me 30 days of unlimited yoga for $30, which is a drastic discount from the 6 classes for $60 which is advertised on the website.  People's kindness always amazes me.  Another lady in the class spoke with me for a while after class and invited me to join her Brazilian Samba workshop, and although I would probably decline in the states, I think I must embrace holiday and go for it! (This lady also added that she had lived here for 3 years, and it took her 9  months to find ANY job here... sighs)

Last sorrowful Halloween post:  Yesterday we bought a bit of candy to hand out to trick or treaters (I highly suggest trying a Moro bar if ever in New Zealand or Australia), and we did not have a single kid come to the house.  It was bittersweet because we got to eat all of the candy, but we really were entirely without Halloween in 2011 except for Shaun of the Dead, which is barely a Halloween movie.  

Today was the day I was getting a library card, signing out a bird book, and beginning my goal of identifying and photographing 50% of New Zealand's indigenous species, BUT the library is closed until Friday for computer updating, so it must wait.  In the meantime I am hoping to try to enjoy unemployment as cheaply as possible and do some amateur hiking, amateur photography, beach combing, and reading.  I have hardly any pictures of Nelson and am almost done Into the Wild, and would really like to read more like it.  For anyone who doesn't know the story, I highly suggest reading the book, or watching the movie (both awesome in their own right).  If anyone has any outdoors adventure suggestions, or any new must reads, please pass the titles on!

I have heard there is a significant amount of snow in PA, and my only response is "come visit"!!  I hope all is well and I would love to hear some stories from the states!  I'm not sure if I ever mentioned, but if you want to skype with Jeff or I (as many have already) my user name is nicole.wesolowski or my e-mail is nicoleweso@gmail.com

Cheers!


1 comment:

  1. so happy you found (cheap) yoga!! hope you hear back soon from a great job :)

    ReplyDelete