Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Can Frisbees Make Friends?

So it's really hard to put into words what the culture is like here.  Kiwi's definitely have a great sense of humor, but sometimes its very subtle that you don't even catch it.  I've found a youtube video that gives a small glimpse of what kiwi advertising and people are sort of like.  It is a video of an anti-drunk driving campaign commercial they air currently.  Because we only have about 6 legitimate channels, we see this commercial often and all are sick of it, but it is quite hilarious and a great example of New Zealand humor.  (It also has a great message!)



Employment update:  Shortly after posting my blog entry last night i received an e-mail from a cafe that has recently been bought out by an american guy (i hope this give me an advantage) saying that I should know if I will have an interview by Friday.  It isn't good news, but it isn't bad either, so i am hopeful.  I also decided to start selling Avon after talking to a representative on Saturday.  It is free to sell and I figure the best time to start is before Christmas.  We'll see how it goes, but like Bethy said "I have nothing else to do".  Hey, maybe i'll meet some new people.

Speaking of meeting new people, Jeff and I are eager to integrate sports and companionship, and have been making flyers advertising Ultimate Frisbee pickup games at the local park on Sunday afternoons.  We have put up quite a few around the city, and hope that we have at least a few people show up for a proper game.  With this too, I am hopeful!

Yesterday our British roommate (His name is Dan) showed Bethy and I a vide, and we have become big fans.  Apparently Jenna Marbles videos went viral about a year ago, but despite my fair amount youtube media knowledge I had never heard of her prior to yesterday.  I suggest watching "How to trick people into thinking you're good looking" to see if it is your kind of humor, but I will warn it is NOT for younger kids, NOT for people with a narrow sense of humor, and DEFINITELY for Nicki Minaj fans (if you can find that video)!

Finally, I received a response regarding kiwis not refrigerating their eggs from my friend Conor.  He is a bird buff and he offered some insight into the egg situation, but I am still awaiting a complete explanation.  "apparently if you don't refrigerate them you never have  to refrigerate them.  I dont know why we do here (the states), because then if you stop they go bad."  This is definitely good to know because sometimes by habit the eggs end up in the fridge, but I'm will get to the bottom of this kiwi mystery.


It was rainy all day again (The kiwis claim this is unusual pshhh) but I do hope to get some great Nelson pictures up ASAP!  Cheers!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment