Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Another Wonderful Weekend

Just got home from another yoga sesh, and a little sad that my 30 days for $30 is over this week.  Now I have to pay proper money for classes... boo!  But its definitely worth it.  I love the teacher, the classmates, and the  environment.

So Jeff and I both had off work Saturday and Sunday, and both put in about 30 hours this week.  (I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but it's a lot to us because we are so used to being on holiday).  Friday night we were beat and just lounged around.

Saturday we spent the morning browsing the Saturday market in town.  We picked up some fresh veggies, some boysenberry jam, and some lavender infused honey (so delicious!).  We spent most of the day reading because it was much too windy to be on the beach, and then decided to take a motorcycle ride to Rabbit Island.  Rabbit Island is about 25 minutes from our house, and is barely an island, but is a big, long, beautiful beach.  We just took an early evening walk down the beach and headed home to try our hands at making shrimp scampi!  Shrimp is cheap here, so we've been trying to find as many ways as possible to cook it up.  The scampi was a success despite the face that we could not find red pepper flakes to save our lives, so we did without.  Later that night we literally ran through the Countdown (the grocer) for a last minute, late-night Cornetto (sort of like a drumstick).  They were totally worth the rush, as all ice cream in New Zealand is.

Sunday we had received a few texts about ultimate frisbee in the park.  It was looking like it would shape up to be a decent game, and we ended up getting 7 others to play!  It was a great turnout.  There was 1 Kiwi, 4 Germans, and 2 people from California.  The game was good, and the competition was pretty fair, but the wind started to pick up, so we sat and talked for a while in the field.  I can't get enough of other people's travel experiences and perspectives.  We left the park in time to make it to the library to grab a Sunday night movie and some good reads.  We decided on Forrest Gump because I have never seen it, and everyone else on Earth has.  I really enjoyed it.  It was quite funny and more feel-good than depressing, which i didn't expect, and I am glad I waited so long because I don't like the idea of not having any classics to turn to on a chilly Sunday afternoon.

My birthday is coming up, and my co-workers claim that it is New Zealand custom to bake a cake for your birthday to share... I think they just want cake.  Either way I am trying out a flourless chocolate cake recipe from SCRATCH.  I will let ya know how it goes (if it goes well).

Jeff's brother posed some interesting questions about New Zealand on a previous post's comment.  My next blog post will answer those questions (and i'm going to try to make Jeff answer them too).

For now, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment