Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Fall Ball

So today is the first day of fall basketball.  Summer league is over, and our team, Blue Thunder, came out with only a small rumble, but fall ball is supposed to be a bit more competitive.  I hear this coming from my team and think "hmm well we have all of the same players as last time, so unless our 6'7 South African has learned the rules, or we just weren't trying in summer league (I was trying), then were going to get squashed"!!!! We will just have to wait and see.  I don't know about the other team mates, but I have been hitting the gym pretty frequently, so maybe i'll be doing the squashing... ha.  All of this co-ed competition and fear of being run over giants really makes me miss yoga in the peaceful Founders Park with classes like "foundations of flow" and "relaxation yoga". That was definitely one of my favorite parts of Nelson.  I do some yoga at the events center but its just not the same.

I am not sure if it is hard for people back home to grasp that it is the beginning of fall here, but because we are on the opposite side of the equator, the seasons are opposite.  It can still get into the high 60s in the day, feeling warmer because of the strong sun, but it falls to the low 40s at night, and there is heaps of snow at the top of the mountains. The houses here are built of sticks, paper, and single glazed windows... or at least that's how it feels.  Really though the warm air flows right out of the house, and our house will be warmed by a wood stove and a heat pump.  A heat pump was a new concept for me.  Instead of having a radiator or a duct system for heating, a heat pump is like an air conditioning unit for your window except its for heat and sits above your window.  It's effective for a single room, but supposedly isn't too economical.  Funny side note:  I personally call air conditioning "the air", like hey mom is the air on?"  I always have, and never thought it was a strange thing to say, UNTIL at work one day I was like "It is freezing, is the air on?!?"  and everyone looked at me like I was stupid, and said "I hope so we need air!"  They apparently call is air-con for short... silly people missing out on saving themselves an entire syllable.

Two exciting things to announce (one way more exciting than the other, but both awesome!)  First the really awesome, important one:  Jeff's sister Laura, and her boyfriend Brookes got engaged!!  Everyone is so excited about it, and looking forward to a Stortz wedding.  They are both amazing people and I am so happy they are engaged.  The second is that Jeff was able to get us Flight of the Conchords Tickets (for those of you not familiar, they are a singing/comedy duo who are from NZ, but had a popular HBO tv show of the same name, and one member, Bret Mackenzie, just won a Grammy for a song in The Muppets).  He had to get up at 7 on his day off and wait in line for a couple of hours knowing he was 155 in line and there were only 300 tickets (and each person can purchse 2).  He waited even though the numbers were against him, and by some miracle they issued another 100 tickets!  We were able to get awesome  seats!  He is the best!

I am going to end on those happy notes, but let me know if you have an questions, because a lot of times I don't post because I am not sure what to post about, and I feel like a ramble on.

Cheers! & Hoppy Easter! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment